Sunday, August 22, 2010

Flights and Semi

Sun, Aug. 23


I woke up around 7 am to a really loud sound that sounded almost as if someone was watering their lawn, but it never stopped. Later, when i asked Lisa what it was she replied with "semi" (se-me). Only after googling this term, did i realize it was a cicada. Apparently they are abundant during the summer in Japan and Japanese kids are fond of catching/playing with them. I have never seen (at least i don't think i have) or heard a cicada before in California, so hearing their loud, collective buzz even through the train walls was kind of freaky.


Lisa's mom made us a breakfast consisting of fruit (golden kiwi and white peach which i had never had) ham and eggs, sesame toast and a muffin. The Japanese have it right when it comes to sugar. I expected the muffin to taste overly-sweet, but it had only a mildly sweet taste which i found delicious. I had fun sounding out the vegetables listed on the juice drink (similar to Naked juice or V8 fusion) that was on the table. I realize, now more than ever, that i have packed way too much and brought nothing that would make me fit in. I am so obviously foreign, it's disgusting. I feel like a fish out of water in my clothes since nothing can help with the heat, even though the shirts i have are thin. Japanese fashion is all about statements, from what i can see at least.  Short skirts and heels are fine, but cleavage is taboo. Ironic, considering that Japanese bras are so heavily padded and are all push-up. Most clothes are loose fitting and light, especially since it is so humid. Every time i go outside my skin instantly feels wet. It's weird that i have never felt such humidity before. I don't understand how the Japanese can stand heat like this where the temperature is 84 degrees F, but with the wind chill it's 92 degrees.


Lisa took me to Chinatown (go figure). It seems like a big tourist attraction, almost like LA's Chinatown or Japantown in Sao Paulo. A bunch of shop windows advertised shark fin soup, which Lisa did not know was illegal in the U.S. We walked around and looked at the overpriced trinkets, then ordered steamed buns (mine came with pork and shark fin). It was ok, but i still felt a little sick for several hours afterward. We then walked around the park next to Yokohama Bay, but it was the hottest part of the day, so it was almost unbearable. I'm really happy that i don't have jet lag, but i get tired so easily from walking so much in the humidity. Then we went shopping in Queen's Square above Minatomirai train station. It is a 3 story mall that has huge escalators at every level. I found some really cute, yet horrendously overpriced clothing and then Lisa and i stumbled upon an 80% off rack. I have never been so happy shopping. I found both a light jacket and dress listed at 7980 Yen, roughly $80, and spent a total of $30. I felt extremely dumb when i went to try on the dress because i was totally unaware that the shoes off policy within a home, also applies to dressing rooms. The stores in Japan are only separated by thin, small walls or some sort of separation, but the storefronts are wide open, without doors. 










Fact: Piercings are done in a hospital.


Sat, Aug. 21


I'm not even in Japan yet, and i can already suspect a change. I was sitting next to 2 Japanese people on my flight from San Francisco to Narita, and i had the window seat. There was so little leg room to get out of the seats that i felt very bad having to ask them to move, so that i could get up. I studied my Japanese textbook on the plane but i've lost so much in not practicing speaking, i don't know how i will communicate with my host family. My fingers feel bruised from pulling my luggage around. It feels really strange to be travelling alone; I never do anything alone, at least i try to avoid it. I feel a little more independent already.


After meeting Lisa outside of customs, we had to wait for Gianni so that she could help him buy his train ticket to get to a friend's house. We weren't able to get on the 5:30 bus back to the base where Lisa lives, and the next one wouldn't arrive until 7:30 pm, so we ended up taking the train back, totaling almost 3 hours in travel time. Japanese trains are so quiet and most people email on their phone, both young and old. I could tell when we were getting close to the base because the trains started getting progressively louder (due to the amount of Americans). By the time we arrived at Lisa's house, it was almost 8:30 and we hadn't eaten. She took me to a tiny family-owned restaurant that turned out to be closed, but they let us in because it was just the 2 of us. I ordered shiyo (salt) ramen, and Lisa got fried rice and gyoza (pan-fried dumplings). It was all so delicious. The ramen broth had so much flavor and was so obviously made by someone who had been doing it for years. I took a shower when we got back to Lisa's and was finally able to call my family and Nick. I felt really badly since i had expected to be able to send text messages and found out that texting does not exist in Japan. I went to sleep almost immediately once my head hit the pillow.






Fact: Balding men are called "barcodes" because of the thin wisps of hair in the comb-overs.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, I thought I told you about the shoes thing in Japan for the dressing rooms????????

    You are funny about the cicadas! I think they are wonderful! I heard them in Nepal :)

    ReplyDelete